RCAF No 441 (Silver Fox) Squadron
Motto: Stalk and kill
Originally formed as No 125 Squadron RCAF as a fighter unit in 1942, it operated along the East Coast of Canada until late 1943, when it was selected for overseas service. Arriving in Britain on 8 February 1944, it was redesignated No 441 Squadron at Digby. Together with its fellow Canadian units, No's 442 and 443 Squadrons, It became part of No 144 Airfield (later No 144 Wing).
Working up on Spitfire Vs, the squadron received Spitfire IXs the following month and became operational. From then until the invasion in June the squadron carried out deep penetration missions using 90 gallon drop tanks. During the landings themselves, the squadron provided low level fighter cover and on 15 June it moved onto the continent.
However, in September the need for fighter squadrons in France was reduced following the Allied breakthrough and the squadron was recalled to Britain from where it flew mainly bomber escort operations until December when it moved to Scotland for the defence of Scapa Flow. In April 1945 the squadron returned south to Hawkinge but at the end of the month returned to Digby where it began converting to Mustangs. Moving to Molesworth in July, it disbanded there on 7 August 1945.
Defence of Britain 1945, Fortress Europe 1944, Normandy France and Germany 1944-45, Arnhem Walcheren
Squadron Codes used: -
9G Feb 1944 - Aug 1945
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!