RAF No 64 Squadron
Motto: Tenax Propostti (Firmness of Purpose)
Formed as a training unit on 1 August 1916 at Sedgeford, it was equipped with FE2bs. It received DH5 fighters in June 1917 and in October moved to France to began operations. The DH5s were replaced by SE5As in March 1918 and conducted both fighter and ground-attack operations for the remainder of the war. It returned to Narborough in February 1919, where it disbanded on 31 December of the same year.
The squadron was reformed at Heliopolis on 1 March 1936 as a Demon fighter squadron, its aircraft having already been sent out and operated as extra flights of No's 6 and 208 Squadrons. It was immediately involved in the Abyssinian crisis carrying out attacks against enemy (Italian) airfields and providing fighter cover to refuelling bombers.
With the crisis over the squadron returned to the Martlesham Heath to become part of the UK air defences. Turret Demons began arriving in February 1938 and Blenheim fighters in December, by which time the squadron was based at Church Fenton. From here it carried out coastal patrols before moving up to Evanton for defence of the fleet. The squadron converted to Spitfires in April 1940, just in time to assist with air cover for the Dunkirk evacuation and later took part in the Battle of Britain.
From early 1941 the squadron then began a series of moves between Scotland and the south, providing defensive cover whilst up north and carrying out offensive operations from southern bases, equipped with various marks of Spitfire. However, in November 1944 the squadron converted to Mustangs and began long-range support duties to Bomber Command daylight raids.
With the war in Europe over, the squadron settled at Horsham St Faith, where it received the De Havilland Hornet long-range fighter in May 1946. In August it moved to its new base of Linton-on-Ouse, where it remained until August 1951, when it took its Meteors, received in April, to Duxford. Duxford remained its base for ten years, with the squadron converting to the night fighter role there in 1956. In September 1958 the squadron adopted the all-weather fighter role when it received Javelins. These were taken to Singapore in April 1965, where it provided all-weather cover until disbanding on 16 June 1967.
Since then the squadron has been the 'Shadow'/Reserve identity of No 228 OCU, first at Coningsby from 16 May 1968 and then Leuchars, to where the OCU moved on 22 Apr 1987. When the OCU disbanded on 31Jan 1991, so did No 64 Squadron.
Standards Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 29 Jul 1958, effective from 1 Apr 1958 but presented:-
6 July 1960 MRAF Sir William Dickson
Western Front, 1917-1918: Cambrai, 1918: Amiens: Hindenburg Line: Somme, 1918: Lys: Channel & North Sea, 1940: Dunkirk: Battle of Britain: Home Defence, 1940: Fortress Europe, 1941-1944: Normandy, 1944: Arnhem: Walcheren: France & Germany, 1944-1945:
Squadron Codes used: -
XQ Feb 1939 - Sep 1939
SH Sep 1939 - Apr 1951
Editor for Asisbiz: Matthew Laird Acred
Please help us to improve these articles with any additional information or photo's.
If you should encounter any bugs broken links, or display errors just email us.
If you love our website please add a like on facebook or follow us on Google+
Asisbiz has been running since July 2006 and can continue to run with your kind help!
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!