RAF No 341 (GC/III/2 'Alsace') Squadron
Formed from Free French personnel at Turnhouse on 15 January 1941, who had previously been operating as a Flight in the Western Desert. It was equipped with Spitfire VBs and moved south in March, receiving Spitfire IXs for offensive sweeps over its home country.
When it moved to Perranporth in October 1942, it reverted to Mk VBs but regained Mk IXs in February 1944. In April it joined No 145 Wing of the 2nd Tactical Air Force and began preparatory operations for Operation Overlord as well as covering the landings themselves in June.
Together with the rest of the Wing, No 341 moved to France in August and supported the Allied armies during their advances, arriving in Belgium in September. The squadron remained with the Wing, except for a month's rest at Turnhouse in February 1945, as it advanced into Germany and briefly joined the occupation forces until 7 November 1945 when it gave up its aircraft and was transferred to Armée de l'Air control, ceasing to be a RAF unit.
Squadron Codes used: - PL Allocated Apr - Sep 1939; NL Jan 1943 - Nov 1945
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!