RAF No 318 (Danzig) Squadron
Formed at Detling on 20m March 1943 in the tactical reconnaissance role, it was initially equipped with Hurricanes. However, the squadron was destined for operations with the Polish Army, which was then training for operations in Italy and in August the squadron moved to the Middle East, but it was April 1944 before the squadron arrived in Italy.
From February 1944 Spitfires replaced the Hurricanes and these were used in the ground attack and tactical reconnaissance roles in support of the 8th Army until the end of war. The squadron handed over its aircraft to other units in August 1946 and the personnel returned to the UK, where the squadron disbanded at Coltishall on 31 August 1946
Squadron Codes used: -
XP Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
LW Nov 1944 - Aug 1946
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!