RAF No 308 (Krakow) Squadron
Spitfire LFIX RAF 308Sqn ZF-T Tadeusz Szlenkier MK346 shot down by fighters Ghent Belgium 9th Nov 1944
Formed at the RAF Polish Depot in Blackpool on 9 September 1940, the squadron began training at Speke on 12 September. Its Hurricanes arrived in October and it was declared operational on 12 December.
Initially based in the Midlands, it converted to Spitfires in April 1941 and moved to Northolt in June. From then until September 1943, the squadron alternated between offensive operations over France from bases in the South-East and defensive duties in the North and Midlands.
In September 1943 the squadron was transferred to 2nd Tactical Air Force and undertaking fighter-bomber operations in preparation for the invasion. The squadron moved to the continent in August 1944 and continued to support and follow the Allied armies as they moved towards Germany. Remaining in Germany as part of the occupation forces, the squadron disbanded on 18 December 1946 at Ahlhorn.
Squadron Codes used:
BM Allocated Apr - Sep 1939; ZF Sep 1940 - Dec 1946
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!