RAF No 277 Squadron
Motto: Quaerendo servamus (We save by seeking)
Formed on 22 December 1941 at Stapleford Tawney from various ASR detachments in the south of England covering the South-East coast and English Channel.
It operated Lysanders and Walruses throughout its career, adding Defiants in May 1942, Spitfires in December 1942 and Sea Otters in November 1943. In November 1944 it took over the Warwicks of No 276 Squadron and these were used to drop airborne lifeboats to survivors.
The squadron was disbanded on 15 February 1945 at Hawkinge but remained on standby until 26 February when its duties were transferred to No 278 Squadron.
Squadron Codes used: -
TP Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
BA Dec 1941 - Feb 1945
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!