No 125 (Newfoundland) Squadron
Motto: Nunquam domandi (Never to be tamed)
Formed at Old Sarum on 1 February 1918 as a training squadron, it was planned that it would mobilise as a day bomber unit for deployment to France in September, but was disbanded on 17 August.
Reforming as a night fighter squadron at Colerne on 16 June 1941, it was equipped with Defiants, which it used to cover the South West of England and Wales. Beaufighters began to replace the Defiants in February 1942 and the process of conversion was complete by April. It remained based in this area until March 1944, having moved around between Colerne, Fairwood Common and eventually Valley from November 1943. It also provided a detachment to Sumburgh from October to December 1942. Whilst at Valley it operated a detachment at Ballyhalbert in Northern Ireland.
Before leaving Valley, the squadron converted to Mosquitoes, which were then taken to Hurn, from where the squadron could provide cover to the invasion forces assembling along the South Coast. With the invasion over the squadron moved to Middle Wallop from where it undertook night interceptions of V-1 flying bombs. When the threat from ground launched bombs subsided as the site were over-run by ground forces, the squadron moved to Coltishall in October. Here it was able to carry on combating the V-1 but this time air-launched versions launched from He111s over the north Sea. It was also tasked with the interception of night intruders attempting to attack returning bombers. The squadron disbanded at Church Fenton on 20 November 1945.
The squadron briefly reformed once more from 31 March 1955 as a night fighter unit at Stradishall, equipped with Meteor NF 11s. These were replaced by Venom NF Mk 3s in November but the squadron disbanded on 10 May 1957.
Squadron Codes used: -
FN Allocated Apr 1939 - Sep 1939
VA Jun 1941 - Nov 1945
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!