RAF No 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron Spitfire photographs
Photo’s 01-02: On 6 September 1940. a Spitfire Mk. I coded 'XT-D', serial number X4260, was damaged while in combat with aircraft from JG 54 ? (no German record of JG54 victories on that day) at 1330 and the pilot, P/O J.R. Caister from 603Sqn, forced landed near Calais where he was taken prisoner.
Spitfire MkIX RAF 603Sqn XT at BLudham Mar 1945 IWM CH14808
Armourers set the tail fuses on a clutch of 500-pounders in front of a Spitfire XVI of No 603 Squadron at Ludham, March 1945. The bombs were destined for V-2 sites in the Netherlands. Rangers and interdiction sorties were also flown from this Norfolk location, but the advancing land forces would soon take the ground battle beyond the range of UK-based Spitfires.
Imperial War Museum IWM CH 14808 https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205219457
Please go to the Official 1C Company forum http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/
Magazine References: +
- Airfix Magazines (English) - http://www.airfix.com/
- Avions (French) - http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/rubrique10.html
- FlyPast (English) - http://www.flypast.com/
- Flugzeug Publikations GmbH (German) - http://vdmedien.com/flugzeug-publikations-gmbh-hersteller_verlag-vdm-heinz-nickel-33.html
- Flugzeug Classic (German) - http://www.flugzeugclassic.de/
- Klassiker (German) - http://shop.flugrevue.de/abo/klassiker-der-luftfahrt
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://boutique.editions-lariviere.fr/site/abonnement-le-fana-de-l-aviation-626-4-6.html
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://www.pdfmagazines.org/tags/Le+Fana+De+L+Aviation/
- Osprey (English) - http://www.ospreypublishing.com/
- Revi Magazines (Czech) - http://www.revi.cz/
Web References: +
- History of RAF Organisation: http://www.rafweb.org
- History of RAAF: http://www.airpages.ru/eng/ot/raaf_01.shtml
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!