RAF No 133 (Eagle) Squadron
Motto: 'Let us to the battle'
However, the squadron disbanded on 4 July 1918 in order to provide reinforcements for units already at the front. The squadron began to reform on 28 October but the Armistice put an end to this and formation ceased almost immediately.
Reformed as the third 'Eagle' squadron in the RAF on 1 August 1941 at Coltishall, equipped with Hurricanes. Spitfires were received in October and these were taken to Northern Ireland in the same month, returning to Kirton-in-Lindsey in January 1942. In May the squadron moved south and began to take part in the full range of offensive operations and defensive duties being carried out by Fighter Command at that time. However, on 29 September 1942 the squadron, together with the other two (71 and 121) 'Eagle' squadrons were transferred to the US Army Air Force to become the 4th Fighter Group, with No 133 becoming the 336th Fighter Squadron.
Squadron Codes used: - YR Allocated Apr 1939 - Sep 1939; MD Jul 1941 - Sep 1942
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!