Naples Airport (IATA: NAP, ICAO: LIRN) (Italian: Aeroporto di Napoli, official name: Ugo Niutta) is the airport serving Naples, Italy. It is located 3.2 NM (5.9 km; 3.7 mi) north-northeast of the city in the Capodichino district of Naples. The airport has two terminal buildings: Terminal 1 is for departing travellers and Terminal 2, located away from the airfield, is used for charter operations. The airport is operated by GE.S.A.C., a corporation partially owned by the British airport company BAA.
Naples, with a metropolitan population of nearly three million is the largest metropolitan area of Europe which does not serve as a hub nor secondary hub of any airline.
The airport management company is fully responsible for managing the airport and co-ordinating and control activities of all the private operators present in the airport. Capodichino hosts some aeronautical industrial activities, like Atitech, Alenia Aeronautica, Aeronavali, Tecnam Costruzioni Aeronautiche. The airport is still today a military air base (Italian Air Force 5° Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul Unit - US Navy Support Base and Air Terminal)
The district of Capodichino - in the area known as "Campo di Marte" - hosted in 1910 the first flight exhibitions in Naples. During the First World War, "Campo di Marte" became a military airport in order to defend the town against Austro-Hungarian and German air attacks. Dedicated to Ugo Niutta (an Italian aviator), Capodichino Airport was a military air base during the Fascist Era and Second World War.
During World War II the airport was used by the United States Army Air Forces extensively during the Italian Campaign. It was used by the Twelfth Air Force as a combat airfield, which stationed the following units at the airport: 79th Fighter Group (January - May 1944, P-40 Warhawk); 47th Bombardment Group (March - April 1944, A-20 Havoc); 33d Fighter Group (April - May 1944, P-47 Thunderbolt). When the combat units moved out, Air Transport Command used the airport as a major transshipment hub for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel for the remainder of the war.
Commercial traffic started in 1950. In 1980 GE.S.A.C. ("Gestione Servizi Aeroporto Capodichino") was established to administer the airport; in 1982 it became "Gestione Servizi Aeroporti Campani") and participated in by the City Council, the province of Naples and Alitalia. In 1995 GE.S.A.C. drew up - with BAA assistance - a new master plan, which marked the beginning of a twenty year development plan. After two years (1997) GE.S.A.C. was the first airport management company in Italy to be privatised: BAA acquires 70% of the share package from the City Council and Province of Naples. In 1998 the "Galleria Napoli" opened, a shopping arcade open 365 days a year inside Terminal 1. In 2002 H.R.H. Prince Charles inaugurated the new departure lounge. In March 2003 GE.S.A.C. assumed total management of Naples Airport with a 40 year license valid until 2043
HM _Harpia_Mafra55_ firstname.lastname@example.org
Regia Aeronautica Macchi C.200 of the 356th Squadriglia, 21 Gruppo Autonomo C.T. "Centauro Bianco", Voroshilovgrad, Russia, 1942. From the Cordo di Spedizione Italiano in Russia. Color reduction done with BRIGHT utility. JB jbunnelle 7th Mar 2006 http://www.mission4today.com/
Magazine References: +
Web References: +
Editor for Asisbiz: Matthew Laird Acred
Please help us to improve these articles with any additional information or photo's.
If you should encounter any bugs broken links, or display errors just email us.
If you love our website please add a like on facebook or follow us on Google+
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!