Focke-Wulf Fw 189A mixed generic IL2 skins
Have fun IM Immel email@example.com
Have fun VP Vpmedia www.vpmedia.hu/il2 firstname.lastname@example.org
Have fun HS Hot Space
Have fun Regards Sparty 12th December 2005 SY Sparty Sparty72@hotmail.com
Focke-Wulf Fw 189A
Role:- Tactical Reconnaissance and Army Cooperation Aircraft, Light Bomber Manufacturer:- Focke-Wulf Designer:- Kurt Tank First flight:- July 1938 Introduction:- August 1941 Retired:- 1945 Primary users:- Luftwaffe, Hungarian Air Force, Slovak Air Force Produced:- 1940–44 Number built:- 864
The Focke-Wulf Fw 189 Uhu (translated to "Owl") was uniquely designed for the German Luftwaffe in WWII, and carried out several roles. It was mainly used on the Eastern Front against Soviet forces, where it was used in a short-range tactical reconnaissance role with limited usage in a nightfighting capacity. In all, the 848 examples would produce several variants, each with specialized changes and modifications to suit required roles. The Fw 189 was of a twin-engine design, made up of a long-spanning wing element and twin booms. The Fw 189 system was crewed by three personnel (consisting of the pilot and two gunners) positioned in a cockpit sitting high above and between the engine booms featuring a nearly all-glazed greenhouse-type design. One gunner manned a twin barrel dorsal machine gun mounting and the other a twin-barrel machine gun mounting in a tail cone turret assembly. Additionally 441lbs could be carried on the wing hard points
The real dedicated role of the Fw 189 was as a reconnaissance aircraft and the systems were fielded en masse against the Soviets. Though range limited the system to just 416 miles, no fewer than 30 Fw 189's were converted to the nightfighter role to combat light Soviet fighter incursions occurring on a regular basis along the front. In all, the Fw 189 maintained a successful service record and played an important - albeit limited role - in the Eastern Front offensives.
- Brown, Capt. Eric (CBE, DSC, AFC, RN) (1978). Wings of the Luftwaffe. Garden City, NY: Doubleday & Co. ISBN 0-385-13521-1.
- Green, William (1979) . Warplanes of the Third Reich (fourth impression ed.). London: Macdonald and Jane's. ISBN 0-356-02382-6.
- Green, William; Swanborough, Gordon (September–December 1988). "Das Fliegende Auge... Focke Wulf's Versatile Owl". Air Enthusiast. Bromley, UK: Fine Scroll (Thirty-seven): 25–38. ISSN 0143-5450.
- Kucera, Pavel (1996). Focke-Wulf Fw 189 (in Czech and English). Prague, CZ: MBI. ISBN 80-901263-6-7.
- Punka, George (1993). Focke-Wulf Fw 189 in Action (Aircraft Number 142). Carrollton, TX: Squadron/Signal. ISBN 0-89747-310-8.
- Smith, J Richard (1973). Focke-Wulf, an Aircraft Album. Shepperton, Surrey, UK: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-0425-0.
- Smith, J Richard; Kay, Anthony (1978) , German Aircraft of the Second World War (third impression ed.), London: Putnam & Co, ISBN 0-370-00024-2.
- Wood, Anthony ‘Tony’; Gunston, William ‘Bill’ (1977). Hitler's Luftwaffe: A pictorial history and technical encyclopedia of Hitler's air power in World War II. London: Salamander. ISBN 0-86101-005-1.
Magazine References: +
- Airfix Magazines (English) - http://www.airfix.com/
- Avions (French) - http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/rubrique10.html
- FlyPast (English) - http://www.flypast.com/
- Flugzeug Publikations GmbH (German) - http://vdmedien.com/flugzeug-publikations-gmbh-hersteller_verlag-vdm-heinz-nickel-33.html
- Flugzeug Classic (German) - http://www.flugzeugclassic.de/
- Klassiker (German) - http://shop.flugrevue.de/abo/klassiker-der-luftfahrt
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://boutique.editions-lariviere.fr/site/abonnement-le-fana-de-l-aviation-626-4-6.html
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://www.pdfmagazines.org/tags/Le+Fana+De+L+Aviation/
- Osprey (English) - http://www.ospreypublishing.com/
- Revi Magazines (Czech) - http://www.revi.cz/
Web References: +
- Hecklafette 15A & B (manual). Scribd. for the Fw 189's rear gun turret.
- Wikipedia.org - Wikimedia Commons has media related to Focke-Wulf Fw 189
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!