Stab II./Jagdgeschwader 5 'Eismeer'- Stab II.JG5
Messerschmitt Bf 109F 4 Stab II./JG5 Doppelwinkel over 7 Horst Carganico Petsamo Finland winter 1942
Profile: Bf 109F 4 Stab II./JG5 Doppelwinkel over 7 Horst Carganico Petsamo Finland winter 1942 0A
Messerschmitt Bf 109F JG5.3 (Y10+) Horst Carganico WNr 10132 Finland 1942
Bf-109G JG5.3 (Y10+) Doberich Finland 1943 01
Horst Carganico was born on 27 September 1917 at Breslau. He was the son of General der Flieger, Victor Carganico. Horst joined the Luftwaffe in 1937 as a Fahnenjunker. He learned to fly at pilot school at Berlin-Johannisthal. At the outbreak of World War 2, Carganico was serving as Technical Officer on the staff of JG1. From spring 1940, he served as Adjutant of II./JG77. He served in Norway with this unit arriving there on 11 April 1940. He gained his first victory on 21 June 1940 when he claimed a RAF Hereford near Bergen. He had, in fact, shot down a RAF Beaufort attempting to bomb the German battlecruiser Scharnhorst near Bergen. Several victories followed before II./JG77 was transferred to the Channel Coast on 9 November 1940. He claimed his fifth victory on 30 November, when he shot down a RAF Blenheim bomber. A promotion to Oberleutnant occurred around this time. Carganico was appointed Staffelkapitän of 1./JG77 on 1 January 1941 and joined the unit operating from Sola, Norway. He transferred with the unit to Kirkenes in May 1941. He then served as Staffelkapitän with JGzbV which was formed from 1., 14. and 15./JG77. On 25 July, he claimed a Russian flying boat shot down. Carganico was awarded the Ritterkreuz on 25 September for achieving 27 victories: only the second fighter pilot in the north to do so (first was Hugo Dahmer). In January 1942 I./JGzbV was incorporated into JG5 as I./JG5.
I./JG5 was renamed 6./JG5 in March 1942. Carganico retained leadership of the Staffel through these changes. In spring 1942, he claimed 23 victories in the six weeks to the end of June. Hauptmann Carganico was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG5 in April 1942. Carganico suffered engine failure in Bf 109F-4 (W.Nr. 10256) on 22 July necessitating a forced landing at Murovskij. He returned to his unit the next day.
On 12 August, Carganico was part of a Schwarm escorting a reconnaisance Fw 189 over the Liza front and Murmansk. The formation was intercepted by Russian fighters and in the ensuing combat Carganico's aircraft received hits. The damage was sufficient to force an emergency landing in Bf 109F-4 (W.Nr. 10132) near Motovsk. He evaded capture and returned safely to his unit the next day.
On 26 March 1944 Hauptmann Carganico was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG5 participating in the Reichsverteidigung. Following aerial combat with USAAF B-17 four-engined bombers on 27 May 1944, he was killed when Bf-109G-5 (W.Nr. 110087) crashed into the ground after hitting high tension cables while Carganico was attempting to make a forced landing near Chevry, France.
Horst Carganico shot down 60 enemy aircraft in about 600 missions. He recorded six victories over the Western front.
Asisbiz database of 12 aerial victories out of acredited 60 for Horst Carganico
Rudolf Luder - Rudolf Lüder
Units: Stfkpt 2(Erg)./JG-53 (1/41), Acting Kdr IV(Z)./JG-5 (10/43), Stab./JG-5 (9/44 S.U.)
Awards: EK 1 & 2, Fighter Operational Clasp
Known Aircraft: Bf 109E-8 (1/41), Bf 110, Bf 109G, Fw 190A
Remarks: His first known victory, a SovietYak-9 on 26 September, 1944, while on a mission with Heinrich Ehrler. A 2nd, a Pe-2 on 9 October, 1944. A 3rd, a Boston III on 16 October, 1944.
Asisbiz Database of 13 aerial victories for Rudolf Luder
Some of the most widely used Book References:
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase One: July-August 1940 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 1) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Eddie J Creek (Author)
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase Two: August-September 1940 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 2) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Martin Pegg (Author)
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase Three: September-October 1940 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 3) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Martin Pegg (Author)
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase Four: November 1940-June 1941 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 4) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Martin Pegg (Author)
Some of the most widely used Magazine References:
- Airfix Magazines (English) - http://www.airfix.com/
- Avions (French) - http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/rubrique10.html
- FlyPast (English) - http://www.flypast.com/
- Flugzeug Publikations GmbH (German) - http://vdmedien.com/flugzeug-publikations-gmbh-hersteller_verlag-vdm-heinz-nickel-33.html
- Flugzeug Classic (German) - http://www.flugzeugclassic.de/
- Klassiker (German) - http://shop.flugrevue.de/abo/klassiker-der-luftfahrt
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://boutique.editions-lariviere.fr/site/abonnement-le-fana-de-l-aviation-626-4-6.html
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://www.pdfmagazines.org/tags/Le+Fana+De+L+Aviation/
- Osprey (English) - http://www.ospreypublishing.com/
- Revi Magazines (Czech) - http://www.revi.cz/