Ergänzungsgruppe JG54 - Erg.Gr./JG54
Messerschmitt Bf 109F Erg.Gr./JG54 Russia 1941
Photo 01: Three pilots of Erg.Gr./JG54 in the Autumn of 1941. On the far left is Uffz. Karl 'Quax' Schnorrer who, soon after this photograph was taken, was posted to 1./JG54. He claimed his first victory on 13 December and was greatly appreciated by the aces of his Gruppe who considered him an excellent Kaczmarek who, at the expense of his own claims, always placed himself at his leader's disposal. Nevertheless, he eventually claimed a final tally of 46 victories, was awarded the Ritterkreuz in March 1945, and survived the war. The aircraft in the background carries the emblem of Erg.JG54 on the cowling.
Messerschmitt Bf 109F Erg.Gr./JG54 Russia 1941-42 01
Messerschmitt Bf 109F Erg.Gr./JG54 (Yellow 2+) Ventspils (Windau), Russia August 1941
Photo 01: Photographed at Ventspils (Windau) in August 1941, this Bf 109F 'Yellow 2' belonged to the Erganzungs Gruppe of JG54. Until October 1941, most of the Erg. Gruppe's aircraft were Bf-109E-7s and it is thought that this aircraft probably came from 6./JG54 after repairs. Prior to 'Barbarossa', on 22 May 1941, 72 trainee fighter-pilots, or Jagdschti1er, were undergoing final combat training with Erg. Gr./JG54 and, with the opening of 'Barbarossa', the training Gruppe followed JG54 to the East and was based in East-Prussia. It took part in combat over Lithuania and Estonia and experienced victories as well as losses.
Photo 01: A Bf 109F of Erg./JG54 in November 1941. Note the unit emblem on the nose and the warm winter clothing worn by the ground personnel.
Some of the most widely used Book References:
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase One: July-August 1940 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 1) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Eddie J Creek (Author)
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase Two: August-September 1940 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 2) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Martin Pegg (Author)
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase Three: September-October 1940 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 3) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Martin Pegg (Author)
- Jagdwaffe: Battle of Britain: Phase Four: November 1940-June 1941 (Luftwaffe Colours: Volume Two, Section 4) Paperback Eric Mombeek (Author), David Wadman (Author), Martin Pegg (Author)
Some of the most widely used Magazine References:
- Airfix Magazines (English) - http://www.airfix.com/
- Avions (French) - http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/rubrique10.html
- FlyPast (English) - http://www.flypast.com/
- Flugzeug Publikations GmbH (German) - http://vdmedien.com/flugzeug-publikations-gmbh-hersteller_verlag-vdm-heinz-nickel-33.html
- Flugzeug Classic (German) - http://www.flugzeugclassic.de/
- Klassiker (German) - http://shop.flugrevue.de/abo/klassiker-der-luftfahrt
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://boutique.editions-lariviere.fr/site/abonnement-le-fana-de-l-aviation-626-4-6.html
- Le Fana de L'Aviation (French) - http://www.pdfmagazines.org/tags/Le+Fana+De+L+Aviation/
- Osprey (English) - http://www.ospreypublishing.com/
- Revi Magazines (Czech) - http://www.revi.cz/