17th Bombardment Group
Authorized as 17th Observation Group on 18 Oct 1927. Redesignated 17th Pursuit Group in 1929. Activated on 15 Jul 1931. Redesignated 17th Attack Group in 1935, and 17th Bombardment Group (Medium) in 1939. Trained and participated in maneuvers, using P-12 and P-26 (1931-1932), A-17 (1933-1939), and B-18 (1940-1941) aircraft. Used B-25's for patrol duty on the west coast after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and later patrolled the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic coast. Converted to B-26's in the summer of 1942.
Moved to North Africa late in 1942 and began operations on 30 Dec. Served in combat in the Mediterranean theater until the end of the war, being assigned first to Twelfth AF, then to Fifteenth (Nov 1943), and again to Twelfth (Jan 1944). Flew interdictory and close-support missions, bombing bridges, rail lines, marshalling yards, harbors, shipping, gun emplacements, troop concentrations, and other targets. Helped to bring about the defeat of Axis forces in North Africa in May 1943; assisted in the reduction of Pantelleria and Lampedusa in Jun 1943; participated in the invasions of Sicily in Jul and of Italy in Sep 1943; and took part in the drive toward Rome, receiving a DUC for a bombing attack on airdromes at Rome on 13 Jan 1944. Also received the French Croix de Guerre with Palm for operations in Italy, Apr-Jun 1944. Took part in the invasion of Southern France in Aug 1944, and continued bombardment operations in northern Italy, France, and later in Germany. Received second DUC for bombing attacks on enemy defenses near Schweinfurt on 10 Apr 1945. Assisted in the disarmament of Germany after V-E Day. Returned to the US in Nov. Inactivated on 26 Nov 1945. Redesignated 17th Bombardment Group (Light). Activated on 19 May 1947. Apparently did not become operative. Inactivated on 10 Sep 1948. Activated in Korea on io May 1952. Assigned to Far East Air Forces and equipped with B-26's for service in the Korean War. Engaged in interdiction and provided close support for UN ground forces until the armistice in Jul 1953. Moved to Japan in Oct 1954; returned to the US, Mar-Apr 1955. Assigned to Tactical Air Command and equipped with B-57 aircraft. Redesignated 17th Bombardment Group (Tactical) in Oct 1955.
Squadrons. 34th: 1931-1945; 1947-1948; 1952-. 37th: 1931-1945; 1947-1948; 1952-. 73d: 1947-1948; 1952-. 95th: 1931-1945; 1947-1948; 1952-. 432d: 1942-1945.
Stations. March Field, Calif, 15 Jul 1931; McChord Field, Wash, 24 Jun 1940; Pendleton, Ore, 29 Jun 1941; Lexington County Aprt, SC, 9 Feb 1942; Barksdale Field, La, 23 Jun-Nov 1942; Telergma, Algeria, Dec 1942; Sedrata, Algeria, c. 10 May 1943; Djedeida, Tunisia, 23 Jun 1943; Sardinia, Nov 1943; Corsica, c. 14 Sep 1944; Dijon, France, c. 20 Nov 1944; Horsching, Austria, Jun 1945; Clastres, France, c. 3 Oct-Nov 1945; Camp Myles Standish, Mass, Nov-26 Nov 1945. Langley Field, Va, 19 May 1947-10 Sep 1948. Pusan, Korea, 10 May 1952; Miho, Japan, 10 Oct 1954-16 Mar 1955; Eglin AF Aux Field No 9, Apr 1955-.
Commanders. Capt Frank O'D Hunter, 1931-unkn; Lt Col Walter R Peck, Mar 1941; Lt Col William C Mills, Feb 1942; Lt Col Flint Garrison, 16 Jun 1942; Lt Col Curtis D Sluman, 26 Jun 1942; Lt Col Karl E Baumeister, 11 Mar 1943; Lt Col Charles R Greening, 25 May 1943; Lt Col Robert A Zaiser, 18 Jul 1943; Col Donald L Gilbert, 14 Oct 1943; Col R O Harrell, 21 Jul 1944; Col Wallace C Barrett, 20 Mar 1945; Lt Col Stanford W Gregory, 1 Jun 1945-unkn. Unkn, 1947-1948. Col James D Kemp, 10 May 1952; Col William C Lindley Jr, 11 Jul 1952; Col Robert E Keating, 14 Feb 1953; Col Gordon D Timmons, 8 Apr 1953; Col George D Hughes, 1954; Col Norton W Sanders, 1954-.
Campaigns. World War II: Antisubmarine, American Theater; Air Combat, EAME Theater; Tunisia; Sicily; Naples-Foggia; Anzio; Rome-Arno; Southern France; North Apennines; Rhineland; Central Europe. Korean War: Korea Summer-Fall, 1952; Third Korean Winter; Korea Summer-Fall, 1953.
Decorations. Distinguished Unit Citations: Italy, 13 Jan 1944; Schweinfurt, Germany, 10 Apr 1945; Korea, 1 Dec 1952-30 Apr 1953. French Croix de Guerre with Palm: Apr, May, and Jun 1944. Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation: 24 May 1952-31 Mar 1953.
Insigne. Shield: Or, seven crosses pattee in pale sable. Crest: On a wreath of the colors (or and sable) a griffin rampant of the first, beaked, fore-legged and winged of the second, and langued gules. Motto: Toujours Au Danger - Ever Into Danger. (Approved 19 Jan 1934.)
34th Bomb Squadron
The 34th Bomb Squadron (34 BS) is part of the 28th Bomb Wing at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota. It operates B-1 Lancer aircraft providing strategic bombing capability.
Mission: Provide combat-ready aircrews to project global power anytime in support of the Combatant Commander's objectives.
History: One of the oldest squadrons in the United States Air Force, activated June 11th, 1917. After WW I, the 34th was a ground training unit in 1918.
Assigned as a pursuit squadron to the 17th Pursuit Group on July 15, 1931, at March Field, California. Converted to an attack squadron on March 1, 1935, and a medium bomb group in November 1939. Received B-25 Mitchell bombers in the spring of 1941.
It flew antisubmarine patrols from, 22 December 1941–c. March 1942. It contributed aircrews with its sister squadrons, the 37th and 95th Bomb Squadrons, for the Doolittle raid on Tokyo, Japan, of 18 April 1942. It went on to fly combat missions in European Theater of Operations and the Mediterranean Theater of Operations from, 30 December 1942–1 May 1945. It oversaw German disarmament, June–September 1945.
The squadron also flew combat missions in Korea from, c. 10 May 1952–July 1953. It also provided crews and aircraft to other Strategic Air Command units conducting combat operations over Southeast Asia. In 2001, the 34th Bomb Squadron assigned to the 366th Wing, conducted devastating attacks versus the Taliban and Al Queda. In 2003, the squadron kicked off Operation Iraqi Freedom with the largest Precision Guided Bomb strike in history, when a 4-ship of B-1s delivered 96 GBU-31 2,000 lb JDAMs.
* World War I
* World War II
* Korean War
* 34th Aero Squadron (1917 - 1923)
* 34th Pursuit Squadron (1923 - 1935)
* 34th Attack Squadron (1935 - 1939)
* 34th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) (1939 - 1944)
* 34th Bombardment Squadron, Medium (1944 - 1947)
* 34th Bombardment Squadron, Light (1947 - 1952)
* 34th Bombardment Squadron, Light, Night Intruder (1952 - 1955)
* 34th Bombardment Squadron, Tactical (1955 - 1962)
* 34th Bombardment Squadron, Heavy (1962 - 1992)
* 34th Bomb Squadron (1992 - Present)
* Second Aviation Instruction Center (1917 - 1919)
* 17th Bombardment Group (1931 – 1945, 1947 - 1948, 1952 - 1958)
* Strategic Air Command (1962 – 1963)
* 17th Bombardment Wing (1963 – 1976)
* 366th Fighter Wing (1992 - 2001)
* 28th Bomb Wing (2001 - Present)
* Camp Kelly, Texas (1917)
* England (1917)
* Tours, France (1917 - 1919)
* Mitchel Field, New York (1919)
* March Field, California (1931 - 1940)
* McChord Field, Washington (1940 - 1941)
* Pendleton, Oregon (1941)
* Portland, Oregon (1941 - 1942)
* Lexington County Airport, South Carolina (1942)
* Barksdale Field, Louisiana (1942)
* Telergma Airfield, Algeria (1942 - 1943)
* Sedrata Airfield, Algeria (1943)
* Djedeida Airfield, Tunisia (1943)
* Villacidro, Sardinia (1943 - 1944)
* Poretta, Corsica (1944)
* Dijon, France (1944 - 1945)
* Linz, Austria (1945)
* Hörsching, Austria (1945)
* Marchtrenk, Austria (1945)
* Clastres, France (1945)
* Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts (1945)
* Langley Air Force Base, Virginia (1947 - 1948)
* Pusan Air Base, Korea (1952 - 1954)
* Miho Air Base, Japan (1954 - 1955)
* Eglin Air Force Base, Florida (1955 - 1958)
o Deployed: RAF Sculthorpe, England (18 January – 4 March 1958)
* Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio (1963 - 1975)
* Beale Air Force Base, California (1975 - 1976)
* Castle Air Force Base, California (1992 - 1994)
* Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota (1994 - 1997)
* Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho (1997 - 2001)
* Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota (2001 - Present)
* P-12 (1931 - 1934, 1935 - 1936)
* P-26 Peashooter (1935 - 1935)
* A-17 (1936 - 1940)
* YA-19 (1936 - 1940)
* B-18 Bolo (1939 - 1940)
* B-23 Dragon (1940 - 1941)
* B-25 Mitchell (1941 - 1942)
* B-26 Marauder (1942 – 1945, 1952 - 1956)
* B-57 Canberra (1955 - 1956)
* B-66 Destroyer (1956 - 1958)
* B-52 Stratofortress (1963 - 1976, 1992 - 1994)
* B-1 Lancer (1994 - Present)
34th Bomb Squadron [34th BS]
In mid-2001 the Department of Defense proposed to retire 33 B-1B aircraft at three locations and use a portion of the savings to upgrade the remaining 60 aircraft in the fleet. The Pentagon claims the proposal would save enough money to modernize the remaining fleet. The active Air Force wing at Mountain Home is due to lose its seven B-1Bs, which would result in the loss of 508 jobs.
The 34th Bomb Squadron is part of the 366th Wing at at Mountain Home Air Force Base. The 34th's B-1Bs are part one of the Air Force’s composite wings, which also includes F-15 Eagles, F-16 Fighting Falcons, and KC-135s. In July 1992 the 366th also gained the 34th Bomb Squadron. Located at Castle AFB, California, the 34th flew the B-52G Stratofortress, giving the composite wing deep interdiction bombing capabilities as the only B-52 unit armed with the deadly, long-range HAVE NAP missile.
In March 1994 Ellsworth AFB welcomed the 34th Bomb Squadron, a geographically separated unit awaiting airfield upgrades before it could return to its parent organization, the 366 BW, at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. On 01 April 1994 the 34th Bomb Squadron transferred its flag to Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. At the same time the squadron’s B-52Gs were retired, making way for the squadron to be equipped with the technologically advanced B-1B Lancer.
The first two B-1B bombers to be permanently stationed at Mountain Home arrived 22 August 1996. The next two aircraft arrived in September 1996 from Ellsworth, with the remaining four aircraft arriving by March 1997. The relocation of the aircraft and a squadron of 300 people required the building of new facilities to house the people and planes. Construction projects included a large airframe hangar, a new dormitory, a squadron operations building, armament shop, corrosion control facility, munitions shop,avionics shop and a B-1B munitions storage facility.
In November 1997 the 366th Air Expeditionary Wing, nicknamed the Gunfighters, accomplished a series of firsts while deployed to Bahrain in support of Operation Southern Watch. It was the first time an Operational Readiness Inspection was completed in theater during a real-world contingency; the first time bombers, fighters and tankers from the same wing deployed to a location in support of a contingency; and the first time the B-1B Lancers from the 34th Bomb Squadron have bedded down with the wing in a deployed location. Conducting an ORI during a real-world contingency came as an ACC initiative to lower operational tempo in a unit.
As of mid-2001 it was reported that three of the planes in the B-1 squadron at Mountain Home Air Force Base were operational. The others were either inoperable or had been cannibalized, because the backlog for some spare parts for the B-1 is over 360 days.
The history of the 34th Bomb Squadron dates back to World War I, when the U.S. Army organized the 34th Aero Squadron on 11 June 1917. The unit was originally stationed at Camp Kelly, TX, but it departed for England on 11 August 1917. Following a month in transit and three months in England, the squadron arrived at Tours, France, where it was assigned to the Second Aviation Instruction Center. In France, it conducted ground training for flyers who were later transferred to combat units. In May 1919, the 34th Aero Squadron was moved to Mitchell Field, NY, and demobilized on 10 June of that year.
The unit was reactivated on 15 July 1931 at March Field, CA. It had been redesignated the 34th Pursuit Squadron while inactive. At March Field, it was assigned to the 17th Pursuit Group and equipped with the P-12 biplane fighter. It conducted flight operations from March Field for the next nine years, undergoing many changes. In addition to the P-12, the unit later gained the open-cockpit, monoplane P-26. In 1935 and 1936, the squadron transitioned to the A-17 and YA-19 aircraft, which it kept until 1940. As a part of this transition, the unit was redesignated the 34th Attack Squadron on 1 March 1935. In March 1938, the 34th aided in Southern California flood relief by flying humanitarian food drop missions.
On 17 October 1939, the squadron was redesignated as the 34th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) and began receiving the B-18 Bomber. This lasted only a year, however, as the B-23 replaced the B-18, A-17, and YA-19. This changes also brought a change in station, with the squadron moving to McChord Field, WA, on 24 June 1940. As the US. Increased the size of its military in response to the war in Europe and the growing Japanese threat, the 34th moved several times over the next few years and transitioned into the B-25 Mitchell Bomber. Between June 1941 and February 1942, the squadron moved four times, conducting antisubmarine patrols along the Oregon coast before finally moving to Lexington Country Airport, SC, on 16 February 1942. While there, the 34th and other B-25 units fell under the command of Lt. Col. James Doolittle. Some members of the 34th launched from the aircraft carrier Hornet and conducted the famous "Doolittle Raid" on Japan. Shortly thereafter the 34th moved to Barksdale Field, LA, and transitioned to the B-26 Marauder.
Staying at Barksdale for training from June to November 1942, the squadron left for the Mediterranean Theater to enter combat. Its first overseas station was at Telegrama, Algeria, but the squadron moved every few months as Allied forces gained ground. Throughout the war, the 34th flew bombing missions in the B-26, advancing through Algeria, Tunisia, Sardinia, Corsica, and finally France. After the German surrender, the unit moved to Austria as part of the occupation force before returning to the U.S. in November 1945. The day after its 25 November arrival at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts, the squadron was inactivated.
The 34th was again activated on 10 May 1952, with the squadron newly renamed the 34th Bombardment Squadron (Light, Night Intruder). This activation took place at Pusan, Korea, in the midst of the Korean War. The 34th flew the B-26 Invader, a different aircraft from the World War II B-26 Marauder. In Korea, the squadron flew interdiction and close support missions until the war ended in July 1953. The 34th remained in Korea until 10 October 1954, when it moved to Miho, Japan. On 1 April 1955, it moved to Eglin Field, FL, still flying the B-26. While there, the squadron transitioned into the B-57 and later the B-66 Bombers. The receipt for the B-57 caused another redesignation to the 34th Bombardment Squadron (Tactical) on 1 October 1955. Following three years of peacetime operations at Eglin, the unit was again inactivated on 25 June 1958.
After a redesignation to the 34th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), the unit reactivated on 1 February 1963 at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, and received the B-52 Stratofortress. For the next thirteen years, the unit served as part of SAC's deterrent forces during the Cold War. Although the squadron itself never served in Vietnam, it did supply crews and aircraft to other SAC units conducting combat operations. On 30 September 1976, the squadron was inactivated.
On 29 June 1992, the unit was reactivated at Castle AFB, CA, as the 34th Bomb Squadron and equipped with the B-52G. Although located at Castle, the unit was assigned to the 366th Wing, a new air interdiction composite wing located at Mountain Home AFB, ID. These B-52G's gave the 366th the unique ability to employ the AGM-142 HAVE NAP optically-guided, precision standoff missile.
The squadron was again relocated to Ellsworth AFB, SD, on 31 March 1994 and transitioned to the B-1B Lancer. Still assigned to the 366th Wing, the B-1 gave the wing a heavy bomber with the speed capability necessary to integrate into composite strike packages.
A decision was made on 15 June 1996 to finally relocate the squadron to Mountain Home AFB, home of the 366th Wing "Gunfighters." The actual relocation began on 1 July 1996, and was to be completed on 1 April 1997 with the transfer of the 34th's flag ship, tail number 68-0134.
After the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks on the US, the 34th was one of the first units to deploy overseas in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. And now on 19 September 2002, the 34th moved back from Mountain Home AFB, ID to Ellsworth AFB, SD.
37th Bomb Squadron
History: The 37th Bomb Squadron was activated for the first time on 13 June 1917 at Camp Kelly, TX as the 37th Aero Squadron. Equipped with the Avro 504-K. After a period of 14 years of being disbanded (from 1919 to 1933) the 37th reformed at Langley Field, VA as the 37th Pursuit Squadron flying the Curtis P-6 'Hawk'.
On 1 March 1935 the squadron was reassigned the 37th Attack Squadron until it was deactivated in 1938. The Squadron reactivated on 1 February 1940 as the 37th Bombardment Squadron (Medium), and receiving the B-18 'Bolo', after one year being replaced by the B-25 'Mitchell' medium Bomber at Barksdale Field, LA, as a part of the 28th Composite Group. Until it was inactivated again in 1945.
Reactivated as the 37th Bombardment Squadron Light during May 1952, flying the B-26. In 1955 the Squadron was re-designated the 37th Bombardment Squadron Tactical and they where equipped with the B-66 Destroyer, until the Sqn inactivated again in 1958. It wasn't until 1977 until the Squadron was reactivated as part of the 28th Bombardment Wing. Now designated the 28th Bombardment Squadron Heavy, and flying the B-52 Stratofortress from Ellsworth AFB, SD. The squadron inactivated again in 1982, and was reactivated again in 1987 Flying the Supersonic B-1B Lancer. In 1991 the squadron re-designated the 37th Bomb Squadron, the designation it uses until today.
he 37th Bomb Squadron is home to the B-1B Lancer, ready to carry out the mission of the 28th Bomb Wing. Col. Tony Beat, 28th Bomb Wing vice commander; Maj. Clay Culver and Kirk Cakerice, 37th Bomb Squadron; and Capt. Gary Everett, 37th BS, died in the Sept. 19 B-1B crash near Alzada, MT.
The 37th Bomb Squadron enhanced their joint service operations with the Navy by participating in a Fleet Exercise 17-21 March 1997. B1-B aircrews flew long-duration sorties to Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station, NC, performing bombing manoeuvres which were integrated into Navy strike packages for high-threat environments.
Aircrews from the 37th Bomb Squadron flew 10 non-stop 21-hour missions 14-18 February 2000 as part of a series of Global Power missions. Coronet Spider 28, known at Ellsworth as Tiger Strike, consisted of daily, two-ship sorties that flew a circuit west from Ellsworth to the Alaskan Yukon Range, south to Hawaii, and east over the south-western continental United States back to Ellsworth, for five straight days. Throughout the week, Tiger Strike aircrews flew more than 87,000 nautical miles and took on more than 2.5 million pounds of jet fuel in-flight. Tanker support for these missions involved active-duty, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve aircraft from units at Fairchild and McChord Air Force Bases, Wash., Travis AFB, Calif., McConnell AFB, Kan., Grand Forks AFB, N.D., and Bangor, Maine. The 37th BS launched four aircraft daily with the plan that two would act as 'air spares' for the two primary strike aircraft. After the first refuelling, the 'spare' aircraft went on to strike targets in the Utah Test and Training Range before returning to Ellsworth. Then, some 10 hours later they were regenerated as the next days primary strike aircraft in keeping with the intent of the exercise - sustainability and regeneration of strike bombers.
Six Ingleside-based ships, the crew of Inglesides Mobile Integrated Command Facility (MICFAC), and aircraft of the Air Forces 37th Bomb Squadron from Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota took part in RONEX 00-2, an intermediate level exercise designed to put the participants mine warfare training and proficiency to the test. The mine countermeasures Squadron Exercise (RONEX) took place 8-19 May 2000, spanning the Gulf of Mexico from Ingleside to Panama City, FL. This RONEX included many significant firsts, notably the use of Air Force B1-B bombers for mine laying during an exercise in the Gulf of Mexico. Two bombers dropped dozens of inert mines well off the coast of western Florida that were subsequently hunted and recovered by the ships.
95th Bomb Squadron [95th BS] later Reconnaissance Squadron
The 95th Reconnaissance Squadron conducts RC-135 flight operations in the European and Mediterranean theaters of operations as tasked by National Command Authorities and European Command.
The squadron provides all operational management, aircraft maintenance, administration, and intelligence support to produce politically sensitive real-time intelligence data vital to national foreign policy.
The 95th RS supports EC-135, OC-135, and E-4 missions when theater deployed.
The 95th Reconnaissance Squadron was originally organized as the 95th Aero Squadron on 20 August 1917 at Kelly Field, TX. Deployed to various locations in France during World War I, the squadron saw combat as a pursuit unit with the French Sixth Army, the French Eighth Army, and First Army, AEF, from 8-c. 24 March, c. 28 April-10 November 1918. Operating the Nieuport 28 (1918); Spad XIII (1918), the squadron had been assigned to the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center (c. 16 November 1917); to the 1st Pursuit Organization and Training Center (c. 19 February 1918); and to the 1st Pursuit Group (5 May-24 Dec 1918). Upon its return to the United States, the squadron was demobilized on 18 March 1919 at Garden City, NY.
Reorganized on 12 August 1919 at Selfridge, MI, under the 1st Pursuit Group, the squadron was redesignated as the 95th Squadron (Pursuit) on 14 March 1921; as the 95th Pursuit Squadron on 30 September 1922; the 95th Pursuit Squadron, Air Service, on 25 January 1923; the 95th Pursuit Squadron, Air Corps, on 8 Aug ust 1926. Reassigned to the Air Corps Training Center, c. 7 Jun 1927, it inactivated on 31 July 1927 at March Field, CA. In addition to the SE-5 (1919-1922), the Spad XIII (1919, 1921-1922), and the MB-3 (1922-1925), aircraft flown by the 95th included the Fokker D-VII, and the DH-4 during the period of 1919-1925; the PW-8 (1924-1926); and the P-1 (1925-1927).
Redesignated 95th Pursuit Squadron, it reactivated, on 1 June 1928 at Rockwell Field, CA, and was possibly attached to the 7th Bombardment Group. It was reassigned to the 17th Pursuit (later, 17th Attack; 17th Bombardment) Group, on 31 May 1929 (but attached to 7th Bombardment Group, from 31 May 1929-29 October 1931).
The squadron was redesignated as the 95th Attack Squadron on 1 March 1935; the 95th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 17 October 1939; and the 95th Bombardment Squadron, Medium, on 9 October 1944. During World War II, the squadron coducted antisubmarine patrols c. 20 Dec 1941-c. Mar 1942. The, operating from locations in Algeria, Tunisia, Sardinia, Corsica, France and Austria, the 95th saw combat in MTO and ETO, from 30 December 1942-1 May 1945. It also took part in German disarmament, from June-September 1945. It inactivated on 26 November 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, MA. Aircraft flown by the squadron during that period included the PW-9 (1928-1929); P-12 (1929-1934, 1935-1936); P-26 (1934-1935); A-17 (1936-1939); B-18 (1939-1940); B-23 (1940-1941); B-25 (1941-1942); and the B-26 (1942-1945).
Redesignated as the 95th Bombardment Squadron, Light, on 29 April 1947, the unit reactivated on 19 May 1947 at Langley Field, VA. Assigned to the 17th Bombardment Group, the squadron was tasked with conducting antisubmarine patrols, though it was not operational, from 1947 to 1948. It inactivated on 10 September 1948.
Redesignated as the 95th Bombardment Squadron, Light, Night Intruder, on 8 May 1952, the 95th reactivated on 10 May 1952 at Pusan-East AB, South Korea, (although it operated from Pusan-West Airdrome, from 1 October-20 December 1952). The squadron was assigned to the 17th Bombardment Group (attached to 17th Bombardment Wing, 8 Jun 1957-25 Jun 1958), flying the B-26, and saw combat in Korea, from c. 10 May 1952 to 27 July 1953.
It relocated to Miho AB, Japan, c. 9 Oct 1954 and was subsequently redesignated as the 95th Bombardment Squadron, Tactical, on 1 October 1955. Relocating to Hulburt Field, FL, the unit converted to the B-66 in 1956. It inactivated on 25 June 1958.
Redesignated as the 95th Reconnaissance Squadron on 20 January 1982, the squadron activated on 1 October 1982 at RAF Alconbury, England. Assigned to the 17th Reconnaissance Wing, the squadron operated the U2/TR-1 aircraft. The squadron provided reconnaissance in support of combat operations in Southwest Asia, in January 1991.
The 95th RS was reassigned to the 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing (later, 9th Wing; 9th Reconnaissance Wing) on 30 June 1991 before inactivating on 15 September 1993.
The 95th RS reactivated on 1 July 1994 at RAF Mildenhall, England, assigned to the 55th Wing's Operations Group.
432nd Bombing Squadron
Organized as 89th Aero Squadron on 19 Aug 1917. Demobilized on 19 May 1919. Reconstituted and consolidated (1936) with 89th Observation Squadron (Long Range, Light Bombardment) which was constituted on 1 Mar 1935. Redesignated: 89th Reconnaissance Squadron on 24 Oct 1936, 89th Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium Range) on 22 Dec 1939. Activated on 1 Feb 1940. Redesignated: 89th Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium) on 20 Nov 1940; 432nd Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 22 Apr 1942. Inactivated on 26 Nov 1945.
Assignments. Unkn, 19 Aug-Nov 1917; 1st Air Depot, Nov 1917; 2nd Corps Aeronautical School, Feb 1918-Jan 1919; unkn, Jan-19 May 1919. 17th Bombardment Group: attached, 1 Feb 1940; assigned, 25 Feb 1942-26 Nov 1945.
Stations. Kelly Field, Tex, 19 Aug 1917; Garden City, NY, c. 6-27 Oct 1917, Colombey-les-Belles, France, 16 Nov 1917; Chatillon-sur-Seine, France, 17 Feb 1918; St. Nazaire, France, c. 14 Jan 1919-unkn, Garden City, NY, c. 25 Mar-19 May 1919. March Field, Calif, 1 Feb 1940; McChord Field, Wash, 26 Jun 1940; Pendleton, Ore, 29 Jun 1941; McChord Field, Wash, c. 30 Dec 1941; Pendleton, Ore, c. 24 Jan 1942; Lexington County Aprt, SC, 15 Feb 1942; Barksdale Field, La, 22 Jun-18 Nov 1942; Telergma, Algeria, c. 22 Dec 1942; Sedrata, Algeria, c. 13 May 1943; Djedeida, Tunisia, c. 25 Jun 1943; Villacidro, Sardinia, 5 Nov 1943; Poretta, Corsica, c. 21 Sep 1944; Dijon, France, 22 Nov 1944; Linz, Austria, c. 18 Jun 1945; Zell-am-See, Austria, 4 Jul 1945; Clastres, France, c. 3 Oct-c. 17 Nov 1945; Camp Myles Standish, Mass, 25-26 Nov 1945.
Aircraft. AR and other types for training observers, 1918; Breguet 14 when preparing for combat, 1918. B-18, 1940; B-23, 1940-1941; B-25, 1941-1942; B-26, 1942-1945.
Operations. Constructed facilities, maintained aircraft, and trained observers in Zone of Advance, 1917-1919; prepared for combat as observation unit in Jul 1918, but never went to front. Antisubmarine patrols, 12 Dec 1941-c. Mar 1942. Combat in MTO and ETO, 31 Dec 1942-1 May 1945. German disarmament, Jun-Sep 1945.
Service Streamers. Theater of Operations.
Campaigns. Antisubmarine, American Theater; Tunisia; Sicily; Naples-Foggia, Anzio; Rome-Arno, Southern France; North Apennines; Rhineland; Central Europe; Air Combat, EAME Theater.
Decorations. Distinguished Unit Citations: Italy, 13 Jan 1944; Schweinfurt, Germany, 10 Apr 1945. French Croix de Guerre with Palm: Apr, May, and Jun 1944.
Emblem. On a blue disc with golden orange border Mercury's helmet with exaggerated wings of golden orange and with decorative hat band and feathers of white. (Approved 30 Jan 1941.)
USAAF Military History Section
|USAAF Chronology and War Diaries||USAAF Combat Units||1941-1942||1943||1944||1945|
Editor for Asisbiz: Matthew Laird Acred
Please help us to improve these articles with any additional information or photo's.
If you should encounter any bugs broken links, or display errors just email us.
If you love our website please add a like on facebook or follow us on Google+
Please donate so we can make this site even better !!
This webpage was updated 9th July 2018