Messerschmitt Bf 109E List
Year 2011 Fireworks Makati Philippines 024
Messerschmitt Bf 109E Emil
At a Glance:
• Gunsight Note: The gunsight in this aircraft, as in many German planes, was positioned off-center. The default internal camera position is centered, and as such the gunsight is difficult or even impossible to use. To switch to an aiming view, use the Toggle Gunsight button (Shift-F1 by default) that switches the view to look through the offset gunsight.
• The Emil version of the 109 was made famous during the Battle of Britain in 1940. By summer of 1941 it was becoming obsolete, however it can fare quite well against even more obsolete Soviet fighters that face it during that period. Its main, and often the only advantage lies in its superior speed. Emil stands absolutely no chance in a turning fight against an I-153 or a well flown I-16, however in a high-speed vertical fight it can handle them with ease.
• Your best combat tactic is to fly at a high altitude, climb at least 500 meters above the Soviet fighters after you see them, and then gain even more speed in a dive as you attack. Coming in at 500 km/h or so should almost guarantee that you'll leave the engagement area without a scratch; and whether you can score a kill is of course up to your gunnery skills.
• Emil's armament is not one of its strongest points. In addition to two rifle caliber machine guns it is armed with twin 20mm MG FF cannons which have a rather slow rate of fire. Their location in the wings means you may not get great results when firing outside of convergence range. However, an accurate burst from all weapons at a vulnerable area should deal with any target with ease.
• Emil does not stall easily, however that does not mean you can yank the joystick all over the cockpit. Fly it gently and don't do any rough maneuvers.
• When used as ground attack, bombs should be dropped in a 45 degree dive using the red line on the side of the canopy as dive angle reference.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E Emil history and specifications
This webpage was updated 5th February 2012
Please help me to improve these articles with any addition information
or if you should encounter any broken links or Web page errors :-(
Asisbiz Sitemap Bf 109E Sitemap